Students Study Abroad Scholarship and grants to apply now and next year (2024) are now available, as such you should start looking for grants and scholarships that would enable you to actualize your ambitions of becoming a graduate of BSc, MSc, MBA or PhD. For aspiring international students, there are numerous scholarships and grants available, each with its own eligibility requirements, terms and conditions and also deadlines of each. Are you impressed? let’s get going…
Students Study Abroad Scholarship And Grants To Apply For In 2024
This guide will cover more than 40 scholarships and grants for students studying abroad that you can apply for in 2024. To help you choose the scholarship or grant that best suits your needs, we will also provide information on the eligibility requirements, terms & conditions and also deadlines of each. You’ve heard the saying “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step,” right? Well, this is true for many things in life including studying abroad. If you’re thinking about studying abroad and have never done so before, there are some things you should know before taking that first step.
Brief Description Of Students Study Abroad Scholarship And Grants
Firstly, what exactly is Studying Abroad? Studying abroad refers to any time when students spend time outside their home country while still enrolled in an academic program at their home university or college. This can include everything from short-term summer programs to full semesters spent living in another country.
Scholarships: A scholarship is a financial incentive provided to students who have demonstrated leadership potential, extracurricular involvement, and substantial academic performance. These scholarships are naturally given based on need or merit (the applicant’s financial circumstances or GPA).
Grants: Generally speaking, grants are given out based on financial need rather than academic achievement or extracurricular involvement, as is the case with scholarships. However, depending on the type of grant you’re applying for, there may be some exceptions.
If you’re a student who is interested in studying abroad, there are several scholarships and grants available to help fund your dream. These awards can provide financial assistance for those who wish to do their study within or outside their home, that is as studying at an international institution or even just travelling abroad for the summer program.
Benefits Of Studying Abroad With Scholarship/Grants
There are many benefits associated with studying abroad, including:
More Cultural Knowledge And Understanding: In the globalized world of today, cultivating greater cultural awareness and understanding is crucial. We enlarge our perspectives and enhance our empathy by deliberately seeking out diverse experiences and interacting with people from various backgrounds.
Personal Growth: Studying abroad helps students develop confidence in themselves by challenging them intellectually and emotionally (for example by forcing them out of their comfort zones). This is especially true if they’re studying in an unfamiliar environment where there aren’t many opportunities for comfort or support from friends back home.”
Improved Language Skills (especially if you’re studying a foreign language): Networking with individuals from other countries can also benefit us both personally and professionally. We can learn about different industries and business practices, as well as gain valuable connections that may lead to future collaborations or job opportunities.
More Opportunities For Networking With People From Other Countries: Overall, investing in cultural awareness, language skills, and international networking can greatly enhance our personal and professional growth. It enables us to become more adaptable, empathetic, and well-grounded individuals in an increasingly interconnected world.
Provision Of Financial Incentives For International Students: Study abroad scholarships and grants are a great way to fund your education. These awards can help you afford the cost of studying abroad, whether you’re looking to study in Europe or Asia.
40+ Best Scholarships And Grant For International Students Studying Abroad
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program: This scholarship award is to assist undergraduate students from the United States who require financial assistance to participate in study abroad programs all over the world. This scholarship is for students who would like to pursue international studies or language learning but might not otherwise be able to do so due to financial constraints.
That is to say that the U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is a grant program that enables students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad, thereby gaining skills critical to our national security and economic competitiveness. The Gilman Scholarship Program is open to U.S. citizen undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide. Apply Now
- A citizen of the United States.
- An undergraduate student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States (including both two-year and four-year institutions)
- Receiving a Federal Pell Grant during the time of application
- In the process of applying to, or being accepted to, a credit-bearing study abroad or internship program, or a virtual international program.
Tortuga Study Abroad Scholarship: The Tortuga Study Abroad Scholarship is awarded biannually to passionate students who want to explore the world. At Tortuga, our mission is to help travellers avoid the cost and hassle of checked luggage with carry-on-sized travel backpacks, including students studying abroad. When customers purchase luggage from us for their trips, they are “paying it forward” by funding scholarships for students like you. Apply Now
- This scholarship is basically only for U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or currently studying in the US on a student visa.
- Be a full-time undergraduate student in good academic standing at a four-year, degree-granting college or university in the U.S.
- Have applied to or been accepted into a study abroad program eligible for credit by your college or university.
Fund for Education Abroad (FEA): This is to provide scholarships and ongoing support to students who are underrepresented among the U.S. study-abroad population. FEA makes life-changing, international experiences accessible to all by supporting students of colour, community college, and first-generation college students before, during, and after they participate in education abroad programs. Apply Now
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate at a college or university in the U.S.
- The study abroad program must be eligible for credit at the student’s home institution.
- Study abroad program must be at least 4 weeks (28 days) in country/countries
Diversity Abroad Overseas Ambassador Program: According to this type of scholarship, Stipends of $500 are available for those who successfully apply to become a Diversity Abroad Overseas Ambassador. The money is put towards a Spring or Fall semester volunteering or studying abroad program. Ambassadors are expected to blog about their experiences for the Diversity Abroad community with the aim of inspiring other members to travel. Apply Now
- Must be enrolled full-time in, or recently graduated from a U.S. university or college
- Have a minimum cumulative 2.75 GPA at an accredited U.S. university or college
- You are energetic, and creative and have a passion for international engagement
National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y): The National Langue Security Initiative is a program sponsored by the U.S. State Department to encourage language learning in specific languages the U.S. has identified as high importance. The scholarship covers language immersion programs for the following languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Persian (Tajik), Russian and Turkish through one of their programs. Apply Now
- To qualify to apply your GPA must be higher than 2.5
- Must be learning one of the languages listed above.
Rotary International Scholarships & Grants: The Rotary Club operates one of the largest and longest-run private study-abroad funding programs offering up to $25,000 in scholarships to fund one year of academic study, room and board, and other associated expenses. Students are named Cultural Ambassadors and are expected to give presentations both on their home culture while abroad and on the culture of their study abroad destination upon returning home. Scholarships are given through local branches. Apply Now
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is one of the most prestigious scholarships students can apply for, as it offers funding to study abroad in over 140 countries around the world. Eligible students must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States and have at least a 3.4 GPA on their undergraduate degree program with at least junior standing (or equivalent).
Grants for study, research, and teaching overseas are given out through the very selective Fulbright U.S. Student Program. The program is available to U.S. citizens who are currently enrolled in a degree-granting institution in their home country and intend to transfer to a degree-granting institution outside the U.S., as well as recent graduates from such institutions who have not yet started their careers. (within one year).
Applicants must also be nominated by a US college or university before applying through an online application process that includes essays, recommendations, and transcripts. The deadline for submitting applications is January 15th each year; however, there are often rolling deadlines within this timeframe so check with your school’s international office before applying.
Other Scholarship Competitions For International Students
The American Association of University Women offers fellowships for non-American women who want to earn a Master’s or doctorate in the USA. Priority is given to women who can demonstrate commitment to the advancement of women and girls, and the scholarship may be reapplied every year of the program. Apply Now
The Civil Society Leadership also known as the Open Society Foundation Awards offers full scholarships for Master’s students from specific countries who are dedicated to fostering social change. Apply Now
Inclusive Engagement Scholarship: Semester at Sea is committed to fostering inclusivity among the shipboard community. They offer a number of need-based and merit scholarships for prospective students, including the Inclusive Engagement Scholarship, which gives a preference for underrepresented identities. Recipients will also have their flights covered. Apply Now
CAPA Scholarships and Financial Aid: Each year, CAPA awards $1.5 million in study abroad scholarships, grants, and affiliate benefits! With CAPA you can participate in a study abroad and/or global internship program in Barcelona, Dublin, Florence, London, Paris, Prague, and Sydney. Apply Now
CET Academic Programs Scholarships: CET is a study abroad provider with locations in Brazil, China, Colombia, the Czech Republic, Italy, Jordan, and Taiwan. They also offer scholarships and financial assistance for their high school abroad, a gap year abroad, and college study abroad programs. Financial assistance and scholarships are needed and merit-based. Apply Now
AFS-USA Grants & Scholarships: The opportunity to study abroad should be available to everyone, regardless of their financial means. Annually, we award scholarships to about half of our study-abroad students. Apply Now
CISabroad Scholarships and Financial Aid: CISabroad students receive scholarships, grants, or discounts to study abroad. We’re unapologetically committed to increasing access to international education for all students. Apply Now
Inclusive Engagement Scholarship: Semester at Sea is committed to fostering inclusivity among the shipboard community. They offer a number of need-based and merit scholarships for prospective students, including the Inclusive Engagement Scholarship, which gives a preference for underrepresented identities. Recipients will also have their flights covered through the scholarship. Apply Now
Verto Opportunity Grant & Verto Scholars Award: The Verto Education Opportunity Grant ($5,000-$14,000) can reduce tuition by as much as 72%. Funding is awarded based on Expected Family Contribution (determined by the FAFSA). Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to qualify.
The Verto Scholars Award ($5,000) is offered to incoming students based on their high school GPA. Applicants with a GPA of 3.5 or higher will automatically be given a Verto Scholars Award. Apply Now
Global Experiences Generation Study Abroad Scholarship: Global Experiences offers scholarships for both summer and semester terms in any of the organization’s 11 global cities. Full scholarships are available for semester-long programs, with special consideration given to those who are underrepresented in study abroad programs. Global Experiences also contributes to those who receive a Pell Grant or Benjamin A. Gillman scholarship, for both in-person and virtual programs. Apply Now
The International Student/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program provides comprehensive financial coverage, including tuition, a monthly stipend, airfare, health insurance, and travel allowance, to students from developing countries who have provided support to their home country’s development and who are applying for a development-related Master’s program. Apply Now
MPOWER Financing offers scholarships for international and DACA students. Its Global Citizen Scholarship Program has the broadest eligibility criteria and is offered throughout the year, and niche scholarships are also available. Apply Now
The Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship provides scholarships to students from select developing countries who have no other source of financial help for their graduate studies. The scholarships are 50 per cent grant and 50 per cent loan. Apply Now. Apply Now
The Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Travel Grant helps cover outbound and return airfare to all CIEE program locations for students who demonstrate financial need. All students who receive a Federal Pell Grant are guaranteed a GAIN Travel Grant. CIEE GAIN Travel Grants are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Apply Now
SIT Robert Kantor Memorial Scholarship: Each year one student will be granted $10,000 in scholarship aid to study abroad with an SIT program. Funded by individual donors and foundations, the requirements are tight: seeking first-generation college students who’ve never travelled abroad before, currently attend an HBCU, and demonstrate strong financial need. Apply Now
- You must be enrolled in an SIT study abroad program
- HBCU, first-generation college student
- You must demonstrate extreme financial need
- You must have never previously travelled abroad
The School for Field Studies Scholarships: SFS works closely with your home school to help you fund your SFS program. Many applicants receive aid through their home institutions or other outside sources, so check with your financial aid office to see what aid may apply to an SFS program
CEA Scholarships and Financial Aid: Studying abroad will change your life, improve your employability, and enhance your global competence. That’s why we commit more than $2.0 million each year to our financial and scholarship programs.
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid: Financial limitations shouldn’t prevent you from studying abroad with us. That’s why IES Abroad offer more than $6 million in scholarships and aid. IES Abroad offer a number of diversity scholarships and grants to provide opportunities for traditionally underrepresented communities to study abroad. Apply Now
How To Increase Your Chances Of Winning A Study Abroad Scholarship Or Grant
- Research the scholarships and grants that you are interested in: it is essential to conduct thorough research on scholarships and grants before applying to ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements and can provide the necessary documentation.
- Read the application instructions carefully, and be sure to follow them strictly: This will boost your chances of being selected for the scholarship or grant. Remember, the effort you put into the application process can pay off in the form of financial assistance for your education. Be sure to check the application deadline. Scholarship applications are often due in late spring or early summer, so you’ll want to make sure you have enough time before then.
- Prepare your essay well in advance, and then revise it as many times as possible before submitting it with your application. You should also ask friends or family members for feedback on your essay, they may be able to point out areas where it needs improvement. Don’t forget about meeting all other requirements for applying for a scholarship such as sending in transcripts.
- Apply for as many scholarships and grants as you can; Examining all available financial aid options is crucial if you want to acquire funds for your education. To maximize your chances of winning funding, submit as many scholarship and grant applications as you can.
- Network with people who can help you find funding sources: associating with people who can introduce you to financial sources might be a successful tactic. You may not have obtained scholarships and grants on your own, but developing relationships with instructors, counsellors, and classmates can help you do so.
- Don’t forget to apply for scholarships that are specific to your field of study, even if they don’t seem like they would be a good fit for your application.
- Write a compelling personal statement that explains why you want to study abroad and how it will benefit you as an individual, not just as a student or future professional. Information On Other Resources That Students Can Use To Find Study Abroad Scholarships And Grants
- Database Or Online Search Engines: You can use these to find scholarships and grants by searching for keywords such as “study abroad scholarships” or “grants for study abroad. If you are not sure what you are looking for, try using some terms that describe your situation and goals undergraduate student or graduate student.
- The results will be a list of potential opportunities that match your search terms. For example, databases such as FastWeb and Cappex allow users to search for scholarships based on their interests, majors, or career goals. Your school’s financial aid office: Many colleges have lists of available scholarships and grants on their websites, so check there first.
- The importance of researching other sources of funding cannot be overstated, especially if you are looking for an opportunity that isn’t necessarily related directly to studying abroad but still relates to it somehow. Foundations such as Fulbright-Hays often have grant programs available specifically designed for students who want to conduct research abroad; these types of opportunities may not always be advertised through traditional channels like websites or social media platforms because they’re usually reserved only for those who apply directly through the foundation itself.
Study abroad scholarships and grants are a great way to fund your study abroad as an international student. You’ll be able to use the money to cover tuition, room and board, transportation costs, and other expenses related to your studying in another country. As you consider applying for these scholarships and grants, you must think about what they can do for your education as well as your career prospects.
If this information was helpful kindly drop a comment in the comment box below and also share it with your friends and loved ones on your social media platform.